Skip to main content

Reading Response to Palmer’s The Courage to Teach: My Mentor

Reading Response to Palmer’s The Courage to Teach

tacky day
I had plenty of courage my first year teaching in 2001--pictured here, I am wearing my Spirit Week Tacky Day attire!
My Mentor:  Mrs. Dr. Eggers
“The best gift we receive from great mentors is not their knowledge or their approval or their approach to teaching but the sense of self they evoke within us.”

            Dr. Eggers is prim and proper, a short elfin woman with pixie hair and the quiet capacity to intimidate even the biggest football player, the toughest “tough” guy.  Most vividly, I recall her classy demeanor, the way she carried herself with such self-respect; therefore both demanding it from and giving it to others.  She came off as superiorly intelligent, but she didn’t brag about her intellect.  But she wasn’t squeaky clean, either.  She was quirky—always wearing big chunky jewelry from the many interesting places she’d visited.  And when I was in high school, she was admittedly agnostic, at a time and in a place where being anything other than Christian was dangerous.
            When I first met Dr. Eggers in her S.A.T. Prep course, she represented the opposite of everything I was, the opposite of all the women in my life—mainly because she was stable and normal, so I was highly intimidated by her and in awe.  However, Dr. Eggers was immensely caring about her students, and I was desperately in need of a savior, even more than a role model.  She insisted that we call her “Mrs.” Rather than “Dr.”, but I never could.
It wasn’t until the second time I was her student, the next year, in APP English, comparable to AP English, that she truly took me under her wing.  She worked hard to teach me to take myself seriously so that others could.  Until that point, my survival mechanism was to make light of everything.  The constant giggling and buffoonery served two functions:  I really did become adept at laughing everything off, and my sunny demeanor kept others from looking too closely, too critically, at my life.  Dr. Eggers saw through the giggles, perhaps because I didn’t hesitate to write the truth about the tragedies in my life.  My intelligence was undeniable—it was just my self-worth that was in doubt.
Dr. Eggers got “scholarship money” to pay for the APP courses so I could get college credit through Appalachian.  She stayed with me after school and gave me pointers on how to talk with an adult without giggling after every statement.  She bought me an outfit to do scholarship interviews and bought me the white shoes I needed for graduation.  After graduation, she helped me get my first teaching job and was my unofficial mentor.  She even loaned me the money to buy my first decent car!
            Dr. Eggers was an expert in her subject, but, more importantly, she wasn’t afraid to reach out to me as a person, to interact with me emotionally. I was ripe for a mentor, desperately in need of an adult to recognize both my need and talent.  My quirkiness ha long been off-putting, but we were well-matched.  She revealed to me the power of my emotional strength, especially as she helped me survive my sister’s death my senior year.  I had survived a lot, I could be proud of that, and she taught me that I could use my life experiences to my advantage moving forward.
Why I Teach
            I knew I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember, doing the clichéd teaching school to my stuffed animals as early as three.  Once I actually became a student, that desire deepened.  I craved the orderliness teachers seemed to embody, how they always looked “pulled-together,” calm, and sophisticated.  I loved and looked up to my teachers, and I wanted people to view me the same way.  I was fascinated by learning and all things intellectual, so I was a studious student, well-liked by teachers.  This mutual respect and my natural affinity for teaching made teaching seem the natural choice as I neared my college years.  Also, I particularly excelled in reading and writing, and I knew I wanted to major in English.  Teaching was the only concrete way I could foresee actually making a living doing what I love (instead of going the starving artist route).  My Teaching Fellows scholarship cinched my decision.
            I taught “summer school” as a child, using workbooks my aunt bought to teach my nieces and nephews.  As a senior in high school, my English teacher allowed me to teach Animal Farm to the class, since I was taking her senior English as an elective, in addition to the APP English course.
            Teaching is certainly my vocation.  I am a social person, and I thrive on relationships.  As I learned from my mentor and the National Boards process, forming relationships with my students is a key part to reaching them.  I can’t teach people I can’t connect with, people I can’t understand.  I am creative, and constantly reflecting and tweaking lesson plans puts that quality to use.  I feel so grateful that I am doing something I love, and that teaching is something I still enjoy after fifteen years of doing it.



Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph