Skip to main content

How SIOP Meets the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards

students, class, ESL, ELL, SIOP
Students in my SIOP English II class overcoming their shyness and presenting in front of the class
How SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) Meets the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards

What Is SIOP?

SIOP is a research-based instructional model originally designed for English Language Learners (ELLs), though as is true with most differentiation, this model is a good instructional model for any student.


North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards and How SIOP Aligns

Standard I:   Leadership in the Classroom 

  • Promotes Collaboration.
  • Encourages students to take responsibility for their own learning.
  • Advocates for students.

Standard II:  Respectful Environment for Diverse Students

  • Has high expectations for all students.
  • Collaborates with specialists to meet the special needs of all students.
  • Creates a flexible, supportive learning environment.
  • Capitalizes on diversity.
  • Adapts teaching using research-based best practices.

Standard III:  Teachers Know Their Content

  •  Integrates literacy instruction/literacy skills within content areas.
  • Motivates students to investigate the content.
  • Makes instruction relevant.
  • Makes necessary changes to instructional practices to improve student learnings.
  • Integrates core content and 21st century content (which includes collaboration).

 Standard IV:  Teachers Facilitate Learning

  • Provides differentiated instruction.
  • Monitors individual performance and responds to needs.
  •  Uses a variety of instructional methods.
  • Teaches critical-thinking and problem-solving.
  • Helps students work in teams.
  • Teachers communicate effectively.
  • Teachers use a variety of assessment methods.

Final Thoughts

SIOP allows you to meet all of the NCPTS, including standard 5, being a reflective practitioner, if you reflect on your practice while implementing SIOP, and standard 6, contributing to the academic success of students, because students who are taught using SIOP are more academically successful than those who are not taught in a differentiated manner (see this research study).


Popular posts from this blog

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Lit...

Get Bigger

My ribs after their rough encounter with the side of the tunnel I recently went to the wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina to perfect (ha!) my skydiving skills.  In classic Bobbi style, I not only do not arrive the proscribed thirty minutes early, I am over an hour late for my booked ten minutes, ten minutes I have been informed will be used by someone, not me, although I will be the one paying, if I'm not there, STAT!  So I run in, late and flustered, and get debriefed on the way in to the tunnel.  I struggle with my ear plugs as I shrug on my jumpsuit and then put my helmet on, yes, backwards at first as always.  Knee pads are in place and I have no idea what Greg is trying to tell me, something about crossing my arms, falling in, and grabbing the net once I get inside. Thank God I begin to doubt my ability to comprehend Greg's charades, and I ask him to clarify about grabbing the net.  Apparently, I am NOT supposed to grab it; he smacks my hands as ...

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni...