Skip to main content

Get Bigger

My ribs after their rough encounter with the side of the tunnel
I recently went to the wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina to perfect (ha!) my skydiving skills.  In classic Bobbi style, I not only do not arrive the proscribed thirty minutes early, I am over an hour late for my booked ten minutes, ten minutes I have been informed will be used by someone, not me, although I will be the one paying, if I'm not there, STAT!  So I run in, late and flustered, and get debriefed on the way in to the tunnel.  I struggle with my ear plugs as I shrug on my jumpsuit and then put my helmet on, yes, backwards at first as always.  Knee pads are in place and I have no idea what Greg is trying to tell me, something about crossing my arms, falling in, and grabbing the net once I get inside.

Thank God I begin to doubt my ability to comprehend Greg's charades, and I ask him to clarify about grabbing the net.  Apparently, I am NOT supposed to grab it; he smacks my hands as a reminder.

I watch my boyfriend, Josh, flying around in the tunnel making it look easy, and then I watch Jason fly head down, making it all look really easy.  All too soon, it is my turn.  I step into the door, cross my arms, and fall in.  Immediately, Greg wants me to start executing turns, and I, of course, can't remember how to do so seeing as how I have only turned once in the sky and then I looked the wrong way and had two instructors holding on to me so the input was way muted.  The first two minute round flies by as I scream inside my head, over the noise of the recirculating wind, wondering what the hell I have gotten myself into this time and why everything has to be so hard.  And scary.

The next time I go in, we work on turns again, and somehow my hips get crazy, and I almost go into a side spin on my own.  Phenomenal!  I didn't have the luxury of instructions before my coveted and much anticipated tunnel time; therefore, I don't realize that by trying to turn my body to avoid the walls, I am doing the opposite and propelling myself quite solidly into them.  I also learn this time that I can use my arms to pull myself out so that I am not getting thrown out like an undignified baby.

Round three and I am finally getting turns.  But something weird happens.  I am kicked out after only a short while.  Come to find out, it is because my glasses almost got loose and were almost gone forever! Gulp.

Round four and I really have turns.  I even get off the net a little bit.

Round five.  My final two minutes.  The speed is turned up.  Something crazy happens.  Who knows what? I am catapulted into the air what feels like twenty feet.  I slam into the wall, laughing all the while, thinking that it didn't hurt so bad after all, and then I crash back down onto the net.  Everyone looks horrified.  I am kept low and practicing turns for the remainder of my time.

Wow!  We watch my video later, and I am told to get big, to take up more space.  As a female who has spent her life feeling too large (at nearly five feet ten inches that is easy for me to do), it is against my nature to think big or to make myself bigger.  I have spent a lifetime trying to appear smaller.

But think big I will do!  I will perfect my body positioning so that the wind doesn't toss me about like an unanchored buoy.  I will be big like a cat, catching air and belly flying...

Now I just need some blue skies to practice in!

(Thanks, Greg, from Triangle Skydiving Center, for waiting around for me and for patiently coaching me).



Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph