Skip to main content

Death Will Find You

"Death Will Find You" Bridge
Death will find you. The question is, where? Hiding in your bed at 9 p.m., cholesterol free?  In a flaming, mangled car at 3 am when you grew tired and drifted left of center?  Or perhaps in the claws of an angry bear on the Blue Ridge Parkway?  Tumbling down the 100-foot rock face you’re repelling down when your equipment fails, or more likely, you fail at using your equipment properly?  Under water, where you’re trapped when your kayak hits a streamer in unexpected white rapids for which you are too inexperienced?  In your bathtub, water hot, tears steaming, a bottle of wine and a bottle of pills…Or a rush of hard ground?

Wherever death finds us, it is sure to do so.  I choose to live my life in the here and now, day by day, sometimes hour by hour, rather than either trying to hide from death or passively waiting for it.  Do I seek death?  Absolutely not.  Do I fear it? Less and less since childhood, when I made friends on my sister’s pediatric ward at Duke, these burn victims and cancer patients dying much sooner than she did some eleven years later.  Death found my sister in her sleep.

And when I was ten, death found my grandma on the toilet.  She died of an aneurysm, my closest and favorite grandma, and so I began to lie awake at night, gripped by terror, trying to combat death, armed with the illogical misapplication of knowledge that only a child can have.  I was convinced from my years in church and my misreading of the Bible that as long as I was vigilant, the world couldn’t end because the Bible says that the world will end when no one expects it.  I made it my job to expect it.
I recently started skydiving, kind of on a whim.  It was something I’d always wanted to try, but I don’t know if or when I would have followed through on this desire on my own initiative.  Instead, I started dating a skydiver and spending time at the dropzone. Of course I couldn’t wait to do my tandem.  I felt so calm during the signing of the death waiver and while watching informational videos on possible disasters.  I felt calm on the plane.  I experienced an intense sensation of being alive as I plummeted to the ground at 120 mph, but I experienced no fear.  Why? Because I trusted the people who operate the dropzone, the people who take care of the equipment, the skydiver I was strapped to, the process I had witnessed countless times, everyone returning to earth exhilarated, safe.  My soul soared in the sky.  I discovered my happy place—one that I was prepared to train to play in, one that helps me escape the thought that death will find us all, even my daughter.

Just try telling people that you like to jump out of planes for fun.

A less-typically voiced, probably more often thought response is the infuriating one I got from my orthopedic doctor, this time not a surgery-pushing, opiate over-prescribing quack but rather a conscientious man who says I remind him of his daughter, who actually prescribed me yoga and meditation and agreed to let me do physical therapy on my own at home with the aid of youtube, and who always remembers to ask about my daughter, Nadia, who has cystic fibrosis—although he did use that fact against me as he said, “Your decision-making isn’t living up to your IQ.” He proceeded to lecture me on the dangers of skydiving, asking who would take care of Nadia if I died or the both of us if I were crippled, relating how he, too, had given up the follies of his youth such as riding a motorcycle or driving a flashy fast sports car because of the dangers inherent, dangers he could avoid…
By this point, I had to try really hard not to put my fingers in my ears and stick my tongue out, although I was doing these things on the inside as I tuned him out, determined to show him how smart I was, determined, too, not to let fear stop me from living.

I read in some recent issue of Parachutist magazine that there is irrational fear and rational fear and that a lot of preventable skydiving deaths occur when the line between these two are blurred, when people ignore their rational fears. My doctor had begrudgingly given me his medical clearance to jump, so, begrudgingly I thought, and I realized that I am calm when it comes to skydiving [mostly] because my fears are [mostly] irrational—because I have been through ground school not once but twice, because I have been at the drop zone almost every weekend since August (it is November now), because my boyfriend skydives, because I’ve absorbed so much there, because I am smart, because I read, because I ask questions.  I am a risk-taker, yes.  An adrenaline junkie, even.  I’ll give you that.  But I am a calculated risk-taker.  And although each jump (I’m only seven in because the weather has been uncooperative) finds me somewhat nervous that I can’t trust my own abilities at this point, I rehearse and review and visualize and read and watch until I reach that perfect, focused calmness and jump…

Because I do trust my decision making skills and the equipment and my instinct and my knowledge and the process and my instructors and my faith.

So where will death find me? Living.

                                            


Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph