Skip to main content

A Teacher's Reflection: How My Post Masters Classes in Reading Informed My Practice

A Teacher's Reflection:  How My Post Masters Classes in Reading Informed My Practice

classroom, students
ELL students clap for a fellow classmate after a presentation

My Classroom (in 2009)

           The teaching context is high school English language arts (ELA) and English language learners (ELLs).  My students are in grades 9-12.  I teach in a large, diverse school of approximately 2300 students located in Burke County.  I typically have between five to fourteen students in any given ELL class and between twenty to thirty-two students in an ELA class.  This past year, I taught an ELL course for novices just starting to acquire conversational English.  I also taught a reading class aimed at providing students with strategies to survive in their content courses like world history and biology.  I taught a communication skills course that focused on all the domains of language usage:  reading, writing, listening, and speaking.  All of my students were native Spanish speakers from Guatemala or Mexico, and they ranged in age from thirteen to twenty-one.  Two of my ELLs were also classified as exceptional children or EC and required additional support and modifications.  Two additional students were in the process of being assessed and placed in the EC program.  My classes are ninety minutes in length and are two nine weeks in duration.

Assessment
            Assessment is a major component of both the ELA and ELL programs.  In ELA, the English I end of course test (EOC) and the tenth grade writing assessment are major standardized assessments.  In ELL, Ballard and Tighe’s IDEA Proficiency Test (IPT) is used to classify students and show their growth.  Aside from these state mandated assessments, I use a variety of formal, informal, formative, and summative assessments.
            For instance, I am a firm believer in the use of writing portfolios to provide insight into the nature and growth of my students.  I take a beginning narrative writing sample from all students to establish a baseline and to learn their strengths and weaknesses.  It is from these samples that I plan my instruction.  For my ELL students this past school year (2006-2007), this narrative was related to Sandra Cisneros’s House on Mango Street (1989) because research shows that multicultural texts can foster reading comprehension when students bring background knowledge to the task (Kooy and Chiu, 1998).  The students were invited to interview their family members and tell the story of their names—what they mean, how they were chosen, if they were named after someone and what that person was like.  They were then to tell the story of their names and if they would change their name and why.  From these samples, I get a feel for what my job as a writing teacher will be for the coming semester.
            This past year, based on the writing samples, I knew that my work began at the sentence level, discussing proper English syntax, the negative transfer between English and Spanish syntax, and word choice.  Other trends included run-ons, sentence fragments, and the improper usage of inflectional endings.  Aside from grammar, students also needed work with paragraphing, topic sentences, and concluding sentences. 
            Over the course of the semester, a student’s portfolio will serve as a formative assessment tool, allowing me to easily pinpoint students’ individual needs and as a cumulative assessment tool, one that I feel more accurately demonstrates student growth than standardized tests.  Students also peer assess and self assess their writing, giving them practice with metacognition, the key to truly internalizing any concept.
            In my beginning ELL classes, a lot of my assessments involve observations with checklists.  In this way, I am able to monitor language acquisition skills such as pronunciation, speaking in complete sentences, and using appropriate vocabulary, also known as communicative competence.  For these students, I assess vocabulary growth several times throughout the semester using pictures and word banks.  Vocabulary assessed consists mainly of the notional functional.
            In my ELL reading class, I administered the Woods and Moe informal reading inventory, or IRI, to all six students.  I did not feel that the IPT ratings of novice low, novice high, intermediate low, intermediate high, or superior gave me a clear picture of students’ reading abilities.  Because I didn’t learn this assessment technique until a couple of months into the spring semester of 2007, it wasn’t used in a pretest/posttest fashion as I will use it in the future.
            This assessment revealed that out of my six students, ages fourteen to seventeen, the highest level of reading proficiency was fourth grade.  This formative assessment gave me insight into the needs of my students and aided me to plan and deliver an effective reading course.  I was able to place students in appropriately leveled texts during silent reading while also teaching necessary content reading comprehension strategies. 
            In all of my courses, I also use project-based assessments.  For instance, in my reading course, students read biographies and autobiographies.  Then, they created a hat to represent the person they read about.  Finally, they presented these hats, summarized briefly the biography, explained why they chose to read about the person, recommended the book or not and why, and explained how the hat represented the person, or its symbolism.  This project was completed two weeks prior to the end of the semester and required students to use a variety of skills that we had studied, such as summarizing, analyzing symbolism, making personal connections to the text, and fluency via an oral presentation.  Having the students make hats instead of writing was an appropriate modification for these students since they were all intermediate low writers according to IPT results.  I used a rubric to grade this and all other projects my students do, including writing. 
            I feel that rubrics do several important things.  First, they set clear expectations for students.  Secondly, they give me a more objective way to grade a project, a concrete way of assigning points.  Finally, a rubric allows me to give specific feedback to students, feedback that can help them do better the next time. 
            Rubrics themselves can be important assessment tools.  The North Carolina Standard Course of Study lists as a goal for students in English classes for grades nine through twelve: “The learner will create and use standards to critique communication  (2004).  Therefore, my students and I will set “predetermined standards” for certain activities through a discussion and then by creating a rubric.  For instance, after reading several short stories in my communication skills class, we developed a rubric that we used to then score the students’ original short stories.  Through the creation of this rubric, I am able to discern what information students have internalized about a topic, like the fact that short stories have settings and good short stories have settings that move the plot forward and so on. 
Reading Instruction
            My ideas about my role as a reading instructor are continually evolving.  Prior to the 2006/2007 school year, I have always been a high school English teacher.  As such, my role in teaching reading was fairly limited.  I did a lot of work to motivate students to read, but they came to me with the ability to read at a functional grade level.  All of my students could write and most could read very well since my classes were all advanced or honors.  During that time, I taught reading comprehension strategies, such as predicting, questioning, activating prior knowledge, active reading, and determining the meaning of words using context clues.  Often, especially for my ninth graders, comprehension broke down in texts with figurative language, difficult vocabulary, and non-linear plots. 
            Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (1623) is a text in which comprehension frequently broke down.  With this play, I did several things as a reading teacher.  First, I provided background knowledge.  We read about the famous Hatfield and McCoy feud.  Then, we made a personal connection to the text by journaling about family feuds we had witnessed or been a part of.  Next, I provided historical information to help put the text in context.  To scaffold this difficult text, I prepared students for reading by explaining significant features of the text structure:  stage directions, dialogue, and footnotes.  I also read the play aloud with the students, using reader’s theater, in manageable chunks.  When we finished reading each act of the play, we viewed the 1968 Zeffirelli film version of the play.  Seeing this abbreviated play acted out helped students better comprehend the story.  When we finished reading the entire play, we read and acted out a simplified version, an activity that served to build reading fluency while providing a summary of the twisted plot.  Throughout, we used journals to relate to the text.  Then we viewed the 1996 Luhrmann film version and discussed how a play some four hundred years old is still relevant today.  This unit is very typical of how I intertwine the teaching of reading within the teaching of literature.
            I use lots of prereading techniques to aid with reading comprehension, such as writing in journals, class discussions that activate prior knowledge, listening to music of a similar theme to set the stage of a story, completing KWL charts, and researching background information to name a few. I also use a story impressions strategy, also known as PreP, or a prereading plan  (Holbrook, 1984) in which I write words and phrases from the text being read and have students summarize the story using only those words prior to reading the text.  We then have a discussion about what the words made us think of.  I find this activity to be adaptable across genres and to motivate students to read because an authentic purpose is set:  to see who, if anyone, was right. During reading, I use Stauffer’s (1969) Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA) to keep students engaged and to check for comprehension.  I also use graphic organizers like story maps and concept maps to aid comprehension during the reading process.  After reading, I use a variety of activities to check comprehension and deepen students’ analysis of the story such as McLaughlin and Allen’s (2002) “sketch to stretch” activity in which students draw symbolic representations of the themes in the story, and the Questioning the Author (QTA) approach (Beck et. al., 1998).
            This semester, as an ELL reading teacher, I taught fluency in a variety of ways.  First, I modeled fluency for them when I read aloud poems, short stories, non-fiction texts, and gave speeches as examples.  We did repeated readings (Samuels, 1985) of poetry, reader’s theater, and of student-written speeches.  We also practiced pronunciation and enunciation in these activities, components of learning the language that are very important for ELLs.  To develop comprehension and in addition to the strategies already discussed, we learned to determine meaning of unknown words through context clues, cognates, roots and affixes, and electronic translators.  I modeled these strategies for them as I used them in my own reading through the method of think-alouds.
            I taught my ELLs strategies for recognizing and understanding figurative language, strategies supported by Palmer, Shackleford, Miller, and Leclere (2007) in their study of how to effectively teach ELLs to process and comprehend figurative language, idioms especially.  During the week prior to Valentine’s Day, I introduced the concept of idioms, and we took a close look at idioms dealing with the heart.  Each student was given an idiom and illustrated its literal meaning.  Then, as a class, we tried to construct the intended meanings of the idioms.  For instance, a student said “to wear one’s heart on one’s sleeve” was like the heart was out of the body—unprotected.  Of course, we had, prior to beginning this mini-lesson, discussed the dual meaning of the word “heart.”  For idioms that were difficult or impossible to decipher based on just the sum of its words, I provided them in context after we had tried to resolve meaning.  After the mini-lesson, I put a big piece of butcher paper on the wall to track idioms my students discovered in class readings, conversations, or the media.  This tracking of idioms was one of many literary elements we looked for and was a small element of our word wall.  In the future, I will implement the four-step process of finding the figurative language, finding the literal meaning, finding the intended meaning, and applying the figurative language to a personal experience (Palmer et. al., 2006).  Having students make the personal connection with the figurative language will further cement its meaning in their lexicon.
            The modeling of reading strategies is a mainstay in both my ELL and ELA classrooms.  Through DRTA, I model predicting.  I use think-alouds to show students my thought processes as I read.  I model active reading—showing students where, why, and when I do things like highlight, underline, and write in the margins.  I model fluent reading constantly.  My philosophy is that I should never ask my students to do something I don’t first model for them.  I fluently read poetry—mine and others—illustrating how to read with meaning and expression.  I model the fluent reading of dialogue in stories and so forth.  When I asked my students to give a how-to speech, I modeled what was expected in a speech about how to make a beaded ring.
            I also model reading during SSR (silent sustained reading or self-selected reading).  I begin modeling the process when we went to the library.  I showed students how to use the card catalog to search for books on certain themes, of specific genres, at their reading level.  I tell them what I think as I look for a book, and how I will often read the book jacket and skim the first few pages to get a feel of the writing style before making my decision.  Back in the classroom, I find a comfortable place to sit and read intently.  I feel that it is very important for me to also read during silent reading.  Otherwise, students will not see that reading, even for enjoyment, is an important task.  I laugh aloud at funny parts in the story, and sometimes, if the book merits, I cry.  I make personal connections to the text, and after SSR is over, I share some of those and any thoughts and questions I had as I was reading and then invite students to do the same.
            To be honest, word study, aside from studying cognates, affixes, and homophones in mini-lessons, hasn’t played a part in my classroom.  However, as a result of my work in the reading masters program at Appalachian State University and the influence of Dr. Bloodgood and Dr. Morris, I feel that word study has an important role in the high school classroom, and I now have the skills and knowledge to properly implement word study.
            How I plan to use word study in my class depends on my teaching situation and the spelling and vocabulary needs of my students.  Regardless of the context of my teaching, I will first administer Schlagel’s (1982) Qualitative Spelling Inventory to all students.  Then, I will group students by spelling ability so that I can provide them differentiated instruction in small groups.  To make word study more meaningful, for ELLs especially, these spelling words will also be vocabulary words, as recommended in Words Their Way, “Words that are featured due to spelling issues must also become vocabulary words, and should be used and analyzed in conversational speech and connected text as a part of every lesson” (Bear, Invernizzi, Templeton, and Johnston, 2008, p. 218).
             In my word study instruction, students will learn meanings, word patterns, and how to spell the word.   I feel that the majority of my instruction in spelling at the high school level (in an ELA classroom) will be for intermediate readers and writers at the syllables and affixes stage (Bear et. al., 2008).  Most of my high school students, especially ninth graders, struggle with doubling consonants at syllable junctures, with unaccented final syllables, and with inflectional endings like –es, ‘s, -ing, etc.  With a group of students who were at this level, I would teach them, “1. how consonant and vowel patterns are represented in polysyllabic words; 2. what occurs when syllables join together; 3. how stress or lack of stress determines the clarity of the sounds in syllables, and 4. how simple affixes change the usage, meaning, and spelling of words” (p. 204).  I would teach and model how to use structural analysis to figure out spelling and words in context while reading.  Students would first need to “Examine the word for meaningful parts—base words, prefixes, or suffixes, 2. try out the meaning in the sentence; check if it makes sense in the context of the sentence and the larger context of the text that is being read, 3. if the word still does not make sense and is critical to the meaning of the overall passage, look it up in the dictionary, and 4. record the new word in your word study notebook” (p. 205).
            To implement word study, I will “…begin with demonstrations in small groups and discussion of the generalizations revealed by the sorts; 2. [have] students sort their own set of words and check their sorts; 3. [invite] oral and written reflections [that] encourage students to clarify and summarize their understandings; and 4. [create and assign] extension activities across the week [to] reinforce and broaden students’ understandings (218).
            We would work through our word study using word sorts, class discussions, graphic organizers like semantic maps to learn vocabulary, and through various games.  We would play games such as those outlined in The Howard Street Tutoring Manual like pitty pat (similar to rummy where word patterns are matched), concentration, and word bingo (Morris, 2005).  Other games that I think will be beneficial and engaging at this level are Prefix Spin and Homophone Solitaire (Bear et. al., 2008, p. 226-227).  Because students are more willing to learn when they are having fun and are more apt to learn when they have multiple exposures to a topic, I plan to use Bloodgood’s (2004) daily root activities, and homophone and homograph studies.  We will play Homophone Rummy in which spelling-meaning connections are emphasized.  I also plan to implement Bloodgood’s instructional strategy for teaching homographs (p. 257-259) where students play concentration and complete Homograph Think Sheets to get them to think about multiple meanings.  As these activities show, I plan to use a systematic, integrated approach to word study and spelling.
            To motivate and support student interest in independent, self-selected reading, I use SSR and literary circles in my classroom to introduce students to a love of reading and to sustain this joy.  Choice is key to motivation, especially for older adolescents who will rebel against anything they are made to do.  Everyone has interests, and once those interests are known, anyone can be motivated to read something. 
            My first year teaching in Caldwell County where Communication Skills is a precursor to English I, I instituted the aforementioned SSR program in my advanced classes, classes primarily composed of males. I consulted Burke’s (2000) Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques to design a reading workshop with SSR at its center.  As a rookie teacher, I set up the program with zeal, expecting it to work perfectly from the outset.  After all, who wouldn’t like to read anything of their choice for fifteen minutes daily?
            Soon, the behavior was prohibitive to reading.  I quickly realized that my students needed motivation to willingly read.  I decided to have students complete interest surveys I modeled after Burke’s.  Based on those, in which students primarily listed hunting, fishing, cars, four-wheeling, and comic books as interests, I was able to more effectively stock an inviting classroom library.  I remember clearly the boys rushing into the room to see who could get to the books about deer hunting first.  I had to set up a system for students to check out the books they were interested in because they couldn’t stop reading.  I noticed the shelves getting barer, but hey—I must have been doing something right for students to steal books!
            Using literature circles to read novels and short stories also provides motivation to the students for many of the same reasons as SSR (Carrison et. al., 2005). Students are able to read materials of their choice, but also a social aspect plays a role.  Students are grouped by book or story choice and find themselves engaged in a safe “community,” sharing their ideas and opinions in a variety of roles.
The Language Arts—Reading and Beyond
            Since my courses are English Language Arts, I would be very remiss indeed if the language arts were not at the core of my daily teaching.  I utilize an integrated model of instruction, in which all of the domains of the language arts are touched upon daily—listening, speaking, reading, writing.  I use a thematic approach to literature in both my Communications Skills course and in my World Literature classes.  However, I find that teaching literature by genre is more effective in English I where we take a comparative look at text structures across genre, but even so, I still pull in other genres that are related thematically to the genre at hand.
            As a bell ringer in all of my classes, I start with a Daily Oral Language (DOL) activity.  The DOL is a sentence that I have written incorrectly on the board.  This sentence will either use literature or the classroom as its context and will focus on errors that have been covered in class mini-lessons or particular errors that I have noticed as a trend in student writing but have not yet covered in a mini-lesson.  Students copy the sentence, make corrections, and then we discuss the sentence.  After this activity, we usually either discuss a piece of literature from the day before or begin a new piece in the manner that I outline below.  By the time any given class is over, students have read aloud and silently, whole class, independently, and in pairs.  They have typically done some type of writing.  At least twice a week, my students give informal presentations, such as showing a picture they have drawn of a character and explaining it.  I also show related films because media literacy is an important component of language arts.  In this way, I integrate the language arts into a cohesive whole, a whole that does not senselessly isolate skills.
            When teaching a piece of literature, I always start with a five minute quick write that asks students to respond to a quote or a statement. This writing activates prior knowledge, sets a purpose for reading, and sparks curiosity.  For example, prior to reading Richard Connell’s (1924) “The Most Dangerous Game,” I invite students to write in their journals about a time that they felt they were in danger and how they reacted. Then, I take volunteers to share their responses.  This response sharing is followed by a class discussion in which I write “game” on the board.  I tell students that the title of the story we are about to read is “The Most Dangerous Game,” and we brainstorm games that are dangerous.  I’ll typically get answers like “Russian Roulette,” “football,” “soccer,” “wrestling,” or “hockey.”  Then, if no one has mentioned that “game” can also be animals that are hunted, I steer the conversation in that direction and get answers like “jaguars,” “cougars,” “lions,” “tigers,” “bears.” 
            After writing all of these responses on the board, I tell students that we are going to read to find out who, if anyone, made a correct prediction.  We read the story aloud in a DRTA format, alternating between me reading and the students reading.  We stop at logical points in the text to make, adjust, and/or discuss predictions.  We also discuss important plot and textual elements as we go along.
            One way that I keep students engaged while reading, aside from our talking, is to assign an activity for during reading.  For this particular story, that activity is to track imagery at certain points in the text using an active reading guide.  For instance, we stop and think about the scene where Rainsford falls overboard into the “blood warm” waters of the Caribbean into a night so dark he can’t see his hand in front of his face.  We reread this passage, and the students write down which senses are activated and tell how they would feel in a similar situation.  This activity also teaches writer’s craft—the craft of painting “word pictures” with descriptive language.
            This story also lends itself to discussing foreshadowing, figurative language, irony, and character foil, which are also elements of the author’s craft.  When we finish reading the story, we talk about the above literary elements, as well as direct and indirect characterization.  Students are placed in small groups and go back through the text, finding examples of irony and other literary elements and then explaining their findings to the class in an informal presentation.  We then talk about archetypes and brainstorm stories and films that have this man versus man theme, like The Pest (1997) and other movies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game#Movies).  We view The Pest and do a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting this film with the story.  We also discuss the genre of slapstick comedy.
            I teach writing in several ways.  I take writing samples and create mini-lessons based on those.  I have students keep portfolios and periodically analyze their own writing.  I operate a writing workshop in my class based on Burke’s (2003) model.  Students have the choice of what to write about.  For two to three days a week for an entire semester, we have the writing workshop.  I start each class with a relevant mini-lesson, at first focused on the rules and guidelines of the workshop and later on writer’s craft.  Then, we have a quick status-of-the-class, where I go around the room and students tell me what paper and what draft they are working on.  The rest of the time, students write or work at peer-conferencing stations set up around the room.  When they are ready to have their paper revised for content, they come to me and read their paper aloud to me so I analyze content and not grammar.  We continue this process until the end of the semester, when I ask students to have completed three completed pieces of writing that have been through the entire writing process.
            My philosophy is that good writing is good writing, so even in the courses where my immediate goal is to prepare students for the 10th grade writing test, I do not drill the students on a meaningless formula with abstract prompts.  Instead, I try to create writing activities embedded in literature.  However, in Burke County, Communications Skills is a course whose primary focus is writing, and the amount of literature I was able to incorporate was limited.  I feel that writing has to be taught in conjunction with literature because the literature provides exemplars.  This past semester, I created thematic writing units and used children’s books as my primary literary models.  Since the writing test is informational and includes definition papers as a possible prompt, one of my units was “Define Yourself,” a unit that we sustained for the first nine weeks.  I feel that the theme gave my instruction continuity and gave the writing a meaningful context.  After all, students write best about what they know, and what do they know better than themselves?  We learned how to write good topic sentences, good introductions, and good leads.  We learned what a thesis statement is and how it sets up the organization of an essay.  We analyzed the state rubric for the writing assessment.  We talked about how to read a prompt and incorporate the language of the writing in our papers.  Through it all, I supported their writing with extensive modeling.  I wrote on the overhead and used a think-aloud process to model how I constructed introductions and body paragraphs.  We also wrote essays as a whole class in this manner.  My students received extensive scaffolding in the writing process, first only being asked to write a sentence, then a paragraph, and so forth of essays. 
            I also used creative writing in this class.  Wordless picture books gave my ELLs the confidence they needed to be creative writers because the story frame was already there in the pictures—they just needed to supply the words (Cassady, 1998; Reese, 1996).  We used our journals as places to begin writing without judgment, as a place to germinate ideas until they were needed.
            When teaching genres, like the short story mentioned above, I integrate media (movies, music) and poetry of a similar theme to provide a richer exploration. I introduce the genre, teach its structures, and discuss the similarities and differences across genres.  We look at exemplars of specific genres.  I have students write in a variety of genres.  I use the multi-genre project to teach and reinforce our study of genres (Moulton, 1999). 
            I teach author’s craft explicitly and implicitly through vocabulary, mini-lessons, literary models, and our own writing, as explained by Piazza (2003).  One such mini-lesson on author’s craft is a lesson I’ve developed on audience.  We view a clip of  Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004), discuss the ways in which Count Olaf differs in his words and actions between the two audiences (Mr. Poe and the children), talk about code-switching and registers, and finally write letters to three different audiences and share them, analyzing the features of the language used for each audience:  word choice, tone, and details.  I have developed mini-lessons on many aspects of the author’s craft:  strategies of organization, tone, voice, character development, and literary elements to name a few.  I introduce the element, define it, and show it in literature before asking students to incorporate and/or examine the element in their own writing.
            Poetry is my passion, so I teach and integrate it in a multitude of ways.  I teach poetry as a genre, poetry as creative, personal, and research writing, poetry as a response tool.  When I teach poetry, the most important concept I try to convey is that poetry is fun.  I use magnetic poetry to teach grammar and parts of speech (Faulkner, 2007).  We write conjunction poems after we learn the coordinate conjunctions.  As a response tool, I offer poetry as an option to respond to SSR books and to books and stories read in class.  I have had students create “found poems” from the text of The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint- Exupéry, 1943) to convey its central themes.  Students also write poems that explore their feelings after reading such emotional texts as Wiesel’s Night.  When doing research, I offer students the option of writing I Poems that incorporate their findings.  This past semester, students in my ELL communication skills class researched the countries they were from and presented the information in this format.  It’s amazing how many facts they were able to convey in so few words!  Also, poetry used in this way was not as threatening for these students as a full-blown research paper would have been.
            As a genre, I teach poetry by first discussing what poetry is and isn’t, debunking the myth that poetry has to rhyme.  We talk about how poetry can be as simple as a gentle breeze on a warm day or the way a baby puckers his mouth as he sleeps.  Poetry is not just written—it is a certain aesthetic.  We write poems defining “poetry.” We learn vocabulary related to poetry—stanzas, lines, line breaks, couplet, iambic pentameter, and so forth.  We study and write various types of poems.  I share my own poems with them as we study each type.  I invite them to bring in their favorite poems to share with the class.  We read poems widely—from the classic to the modern to the silly.  We listen to c.d.s of authors performing their own poetry.  We take field trips to poetry readings.  We study music as poetry, hip-hop as poetry.  We analyze “Drops of Jupiter” by Train for poetic elements.  I have had students create PowerPoint poetry performances, write argumentative papers to explore how a song of their choice is a poem, memorize and recite their favorite poem, and create poetry notebooks just to name a few activities.
            I teach poetry as a genre, but I also integrate the study of poetry into related texts.  For example, when reading Romeo and Juliet we learn about the sonnet and write our own.  When reading Night, we read the poems that children wrote while at Terezin Concentration Camp from I Never Saw Another Butterfly. When reading Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969), we read “Sympathy” by Laurence Dunbar and discuss how this book may embody the theme of this poem and what the title of the book means.  With my ELL students, we also read Cool Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Growing Up Hispanic in the United States (1994) and write personal poetry in response to these poems.  In my creative writing course, I also used the poetry workshop as a means for students to get feedback on their writing.  Each student had to bring in one poem they had written during the semester for peer review.  This activity taught students how to analyze poetry, and how to make and take constructive criticism.

Responses to Reading and Literature
            I ask students for a variety of responses to reading and literature.  Some of these are simply oral—“Why do you think Elie Wiesel calls his memoir Night?”  Others require responses in drawings—such as to draw a scene from Night that was particularly vivid due to imagery and explain why.  Other responses are personal essays, such as which character from the book are you most like and why?  Sometimes the response writing is more informal like journal writing, such as the following prompt for Romeo and Juliet—“Have you ever dated someone your parents didn’t approve of?  Give details.”  I also ask for literary analysis papers, like comparing Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story. 
            I use reader’s response logs as a way for students to respond, especially to SSR.  I ask that students connect the text to themselves and to the world.  I use letters to the author and letters to characters as responses.  We have debates and court trials with such books as Steinback’s Of Mice and Men (1937),Cooney’s Driver’s Ed (1996), and short stories like Stockton’s (1882)“The Lady, or the Tiger.”  We write alternate endings.  I ask students to complete creative projects in response to reading.  For example, after reading Romeo and Juliet, I had students to create a mask to represent a character of their choice.  Then, they wore the mask while presenting it and explaining its symbolism.  I have also used this same tactic with Sophocles’s Oedipus Rex.  After reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2001), by Ann Brashares, one activity was for them to get into groups and to decorate a pair of jeans like the girls in the book did, with rules of their circle of friends.  They presented their rules, and we discussed how a set of rules can reveal a lot about our personalities.  After reading Ferris’s (2001) Bad, I asked students to create a slang dictionary.  After reading “The Truth is Like the Sun,” and discussing Elvis Presley’s quote, “Truth is like the sun, you can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away,” I asked students to do a truth experiment in which they told the truth for an entire day.  Their results were written up using the scientific method, and we discussed this experience the next day.  As a follow up, we watched Liar, Liar (Shadyac, 1997) and wrote about universal themes.
            I feel that my role as an English teacher can be equated to that of a magician.  I have a bag of tricks that I use to keep my teaching relevant to the lives of the students and to keep them interested and motivated to read and write.  I am constantly adding to that bag of tricks.  I love being creative, and one of my favorite things to do is to come up with fun activities for my students to do after reading.  My work in the masters program and the post masters program has given me many other activities to add to my repertoire, like the I Poem, wordless picture books, the multi-genre project, word sorts and word games, comprehension strategies, vocabulary strategies, and fluency strategies.

References

Bear, D., Invernizzi, M., Templeton, S., & Johnston, F. (2008). Words their way: Word study for phonics, vocabulary, and spelling instruction. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.

Beck, I., McKeown, M., Hamilton, R., & Kucan, L. (1998, January 1). Getting at the   meaning: How to help students unpack difficult text. American Educator, 22(1-2), 66.

Bloodgood, J.W., & Pacifici, L.C. (2004). Bringing word study to intermediate classrooms. The Reading Teacher, 58, 250–263.

Burke, J. (2000). Reading reminders: Tools, tips, and techniques . Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, Boynton/Cook.

Burke, J. (2003). Writing reminders: Tools, tips, and techniques . Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, Boynton/Cook.

Carrison, C., & Ernst-Slavit, G. (2005). From silence to a whisper to active participation: Using literature circles with ELL students. Reading Horizons. 46 no 2, 93-113. 


Cassady, J.K. (1998). Wordless books: No-risk tools for inclusive middle-grade classrooms. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 41, 6, 428–432

Faulkner, B. (2007). The Magnetism of Language: Parts of Speech, Poetry, and Word Play. Retrieved June 29, 2007, from ReadWriteThink Web site: http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=1058

Holbrook, H.  (1984).  ERIC/RCS:  Pre-reading in the content areas.  Journal of Reading.  27, 368-370.
(2007, June 15). The Most Dangerous Game. Retrieved June 29, 2007, from Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia Web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game#Movies

Kooy, M, & Chiu, A (1998).  Language, literature, and learning in the ESL classroom. English Journal. 88, 78-84.

McLaughlin, M., & Allen, M.B. (2002). Guided Comprehension: A teaching model for grades 3–8. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.

Morris, D. (2005). The Howard street tutoring manual: Teaching at-risk readers in the primary grades. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.  

Moulton, M. R. (1999).  The multigenre paper: Increasing interest, motivation, and functionality in research.  Journal of Adult and Adolescent Literacy, 42, 7, 528-539.

(2004). North Carolina standard course of study: English language arts. Retrieved June 29, 2007, from Public Schools of North Carolina: NCDPI Web site: http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/curriculum/languagearts/scos/2004/

Palmer, B.C., Shackelford, V.S., Miller, S.C., & Leclere, J.T. (2007). Bridging two worlds: Reading comprehension, figurative language instruction, and the English-language learner. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 50, 258-267. 

Piazza, C. L. (2003).  Journeys:  The teaching of writing in elementary classrooms.  Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.

Reese, C. (1996). Story development using wordless picture books. The Reading Teacher, 50, 172–173.
           
Samuels, S.J. (1985). Automaticity and repeated reading. Reading education: Foundations for a literate America, eds. J. Osborn, P.T. Wilson, and R.C. Anderson. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.

Stauffer, R. G. (1969). Directing reading maturity as a cognitive process. New York: Harper & Row.


Schlagel, R. (1982). A qualitative inventory of word knowledge: a developmental study of spelling, grades one through six. Dissertation Abstracts International, 47(03), 915A. (University Microfilms No.86-il, 798)

Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph