Skip to main content

Nature Poems: Getting Dirty

Today, go outside and get your hands and feet dirty!  Look beneath a rock, examine the roots of a tree, or dig through soil and write about whatever you find lurking there: maybe you see ants working, perhaps you are alarmed by the coating of pollen, maybe you are enchanted by the juxtaposition of nature and man's creations.  Feel the sun on your face, the air on your skin.  Rejoice, and write about nature.


Your Assignment:  

Go outside and write a nature poem.  There are no word limits.  You will have 15 minutes outside for this writing activity.

  • Remember to engage all of your senses.  
  • This poem does not have to rhyme.  
  • Be creative!  Try a concrete poem (written in the shape of your subject).
  • Also, remember to write using figurative language--you know, all of those elements you normally have to analyze literature and poetry for: alliteration, metaphor, simile, hyperbole, onomatopoeia, rhythm, rhyme scheme, irony, personification, and so forth.
Extra credit:  illustrate your poem!
 Examples:  Textual Models
The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful.
--e.e. cummings

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.
--William Blake, from "Auguries of Innocence"

Daffodils - Poem by William Wordsworth
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


STUDENT MODELS:
















Student Reflections

"I really enjoyed this activity because as students, we were left to explore and create without barriers. I like the thought of easing into poetry without being scared to write it. "
"This activity was really interesting! i enjoyed spending time outside, especially on the bridge by the stream. Reflecting back I would wish it was less pollen-y out because that made it hard to focus on things that weren't pollen related but besides that this activity was a nice change of pace."
"I found a spot where no one was and then I explored the little area until something caught my eye. I examined it intently and then walked away. Once I walked away the words started forming in my mind. Once I find something that inspires me I must distract myself for the process of my poem writing to begin. "
"My game plan when it came to drafting the poem was to find a natural object that was not pollen that stood out to my eye. The first thing that struck me, disregarding the pollen, was the kudzu.  Poem writing is difficult for me (writing in GENERAL is not fun for me...) when I do not feel emotion towards the subject or passionate about what I write about. This made writing such an impromptu poem difficult for myself." 
"I really enjoyed this activity because gave us the ability to go explore by ourselves and have the freedom to create whatever we content we wished. We should definitely do more assignments like these!" 
  


Assignment adapted from Bernard Friot's The Aspiring Poet's Journal, day 279 as pictured below.




Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph