Skip to main content

Hope is in the Air

What a difference 8 months make!  My last post was right after Nadia graduated from preschool.  Now, she is in the 2nd half of kindergarten.  She has learned to read.  She loves school.  She says that she wants to be a teacher because her teachers take such good care of her (they make sure she gets her enzymes each time she eats at school).  She has even taken to assigning herself homework when she doesn't have any (Wonder where she gets this from?)  This week, I tried to get her to go to bed with the promise that we would finish her homework in the morning--but she wasn't having it.  She cried to do her homework!

Her energy and personality manage to keep me from hyper-focusing on her illness all of the time and staying freaked out (as I was in my last post), though it still happens.  This winter, she has been plagued with a chronic hacking cough.  I am assured that this is the result of recurring sinus infections.  Like clockwork, this begins in earnest at 3 am, and it is so loud that I wake up.  Once awake, I struggle to go back to sleep because all of the "what ifs" come back to haunt me.  What if this coughing is a sign that her lungs are now getting damaged?  What if I should take her to her doctor at Baptist instead of her pediatrician?  What if she is really sick this time and has to be admitted to Baptist for antibiotic treatments?  What if....?  She is taking an antibiotic currently, and even though it is watermelon flavored, it is really nasty.  The other night, she took it and promptly threw up her dinner (green peas--yuck!).  She really hates blowing her nose, and hearing her fight with Jef over this and cry breaks my heart.

But--this is a blog of hope!  I have just begun the 2011 Great Strides Campaign for Team Nadia Denise.  I have been remembering the unexpected support of all of our friends and family last year in this endeavor.  We are not alone in this journey, and their support reminds me of this lesson.   They all love my little girl.  She views this walk as her day, and it is a celebration of her spirit.  I think it will help her to come to terms with her illness as she gets older.  Already this year, our friends and family are more energized and committed than last year, and that is a reason for hope.  I hope that our efforts will advance research and medical discoveries for cystic fibrosis.  I know that my friends and family love us.  Love goes a long way!

Now I have to turn my attention to writing this year's Nadia poem for our team t-shirts.  I will post it here for your comments when I get a draft. I am glad that I started this tradition because it gives me a deadline and motivation to reflect on my beautiful daughter and her personality and actions as I try to convey her in words.

 I hope you like the picture above that will be on this year's posters in Asheville.

Please consider making a donation to our campaign and/or joining our team by clicking here.
We are also on facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=331933955442

Hopefully yours--

Bobbi

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni

Unlocking Creative Brilliance with Digital Magnetic Poetry: Teach Syntax, Diction, and Tone

Originally published 1/14/2009.  Updated 11/4/2023 The possibilities are infinite--ish when you use online magnets to get creative. No refrigerator necessary. Free online kits here . Poetry, with its mesmerizing ability to encapsulate emotions, stories, and ideas within the boundaries of words, is a true art form. But there's a particular type of poetry that holds a special place in my heart—the kind that challenges our traditional understanding of language and syntax. I'm talking about magnetic poetry, the quirky, wordplay-filled realm where creativity knows no bounds. I love this type of poetry! It really makes me think in a different syntax, playing with a strange juxtaposition of words. Often, I use this format when I am bored or if I have NO IDEA what I want to write about! The beauty of magnetic poetry lies in its simplicity and boundless potential for creativity. It's an art form where words become movable puzzle pieces, waiting to be rearranged into poetic masterpi

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Literary Inferences Textual Evidence Graph