Skip to main content

Larson Discussion Question Responses

○ According to Larson, what should be the unit of processing? Letter or word? LETTER


○ What is at stake with a word shape model of word recognition? UMM--it's crazy--the actual process of reading is not understood and would lead people to focus on unrelated features of the word.  Our instructional time is limited.  Struggling readers need the MOST time to spend reading and they need the highest quality of instruction--teaching word shape is ineffective and muddies the waters.  You will have students who can't read because they didn't learn to decode.

○ Should we teach typical eye-movements (of a reader) to struggling readers? I don't know where I stand on this issue.  My instincts say---maybe with the most disabled readers.  But this seems so instinctual, so tacit.  How do you teach it?  It's a slippery slope issue.  Teaching stuff like eye movement reminds me of having dyslexics focus on strengthening their eyes and their fine and gross motor skills.  We DO teach students the conventions of how our print works--to read left to right and so forth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Standards Explicit: North Carolina Standard Course of Study English II Guided Notes, Graphic Organizers

  When students are able to clearly articulate what they are learning and what they are expected to do, they will be more successful.  I have been teaching for 22 years, and I have found that it is helpful to begin each new unit of learning by emphasizing a focus standard.  We know that the ELA standards are artfully intertwined, but picking a standard or two to really emphasize helps me to be intentional about instruction and for students to know the purpose of their learning. I am currently teaching English II in North Carolina, and I am helping students prepare for the North Carolina Final Exam.  I have been developing slideshows, guided notes, and graphic organizers to help students understand the academic vocabulary of the tested standards as well as to help them analyze informational and literary texts in the 9-10 grade band. These resources are available individually or bundled on Teachers Pay Teachers .   Add a free copy of   RL.9.10.1 Lit...

Get Bigger

My ribs after their rough encounter with the side of the tunnel I recently went to the wind tunnel in Raeford, North Carolina to perfect (ha!) my skydiving skills.  In classic Bobbi style, I not only do not arrive the proscribed thirty minutes early, I am over an hour late for my booked ten minutes, ten minutes I have been informed will be used by someone, not me, although I will be the one paying, if I'm not there, STAT!  So I run in, late and flustered, and get debriefed on the way in to the tunnel.  I struggle with my ear plugs as I shrug on my jumpsuit and then put my helmet on, yes, backwards at first as always.  Knee pads are in place and I have no idea what Greg is trying to tell me, something about crossing my arms, falling in, and grabbing the net once I get inside. Thank God I begin to doubt my ability to comprehend Greg's charades, and I ask him to clarify about grabbing the net.  Apparently, I am NOT supposed to grab it; he smacks my hands as ...

Decoding the Babble: Navigating the Educational Jargon Jungle Top Ten +1 Phrases Decoded with a Wink and a Smile

Top Ten (+1) Educational Acronyms Decoded (with a wink and a smile)  Oh, education – the world of mysteries wrapped in a labyrinth of acronyms, jargon, and phrases that seem like they were concocted by a secret society of linguists with a penchant for confusion. We've all been there, trying to decipher the meaning behind an acronym that appears as inscrutable as ancient hieroglyphics.   "Don't forget to bring your list of IEP, ML, and 504 students to the PLC meeting today where we will determine who needs Tier 2 or 3 interventions in MTSS and we might write PEPs, too!" But, fear not, dear readers, for today, we embark on a comical journey into the land of bewildering educational jargon. 1. I EP – Infinite Enigma Puzzle Picture this: a group of educators huddled in a dimly lit room, chanting incantations, and crafting an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a student. But, what does it really stand for? "Incredibly Elusive Proclamation?" "Infinite Eni...